COLD SPRING, NY--(Marketwired - May 22, 2014) - As a leading IT healthcare company, CloudVisit Telemedicine helps healthcare professionals launch HIPAA-compliant telepsychiatry and telemedicine practices. The unique CloudVisit business model
puts providers in charge of their own, independent telemedicine websites, free from the constraints and anonymity of historic telemedicine networks.
Secure video consultations
are revolutionizing the provider-to-patient relationship. With the help of innovators like CloudVisit Telemedicine, small healthcare practices can take advantage of the very same patient care and revenue opportunities as their larger counterparts. In fact, one CloudVisit client recently reported a practice revenue increase of more than $20,000 over a 12-month period through video consultations alone.
"Telemedicine has broken out of the hospital sector and become the every man's healthcare tool," said Daniel Gilbert, president and CEO of CloudVisit Telemedicine. "Clients are amazed that in a matter of days we give them their own telemedicine or telepsychiatry
website, complete with patient appointment scheduling, HIPAA compliant video sessions, and credit card billing."
CloudVisit Case Study: Telepsychiatry and Multi-State Licensure
In 2013, an established psychiatric practice was set to relocate from the Midwest to the East Coast. They turned to CloudVisit Telemedicine for a way to provide continuous support to valued patients during the transition and beyond.
The CloudVisit Telemedicine solution:
CloudVisit created a custom-branded telepsychiatry website and secure platform, allowing the doctor to register patients for HIPAA-compliant video sessions. By retaining multi-state licensure the doctor was able to continue seeing existing Midwest clients online, while establishing the new practice on the East Coast. What's more, the dual-purpose CloudVisit website helped attract new patients to both the physical and online practices, while providing a password-protected telepsychiatry portal for scheduled video sessions.
Private practice revenue with CloudVisit:
In just one year, this CloudVisit success story increased practice revenue by more than $20,000. Midwest patients transitioned to online appointments represent 60 percent of the current online practice. The remaining 40 percent is comprised of new patients participating in online and in-person care. Patients simply create secure accounts on the website and participate in one-on-one video sessions for which their credit cards are automatically charged. The doctor has complete control over availability, session fees, and appointment confirmations.
Total return on investment for two years of unlimited telepsychiatry was achieved in just a month and a half.
"We're very pleased with the success that this doctor is experiencing with CloudVisit," said Gilbert. "More impressive, this revenue was achieved without marketing the online practice. As they move beyond first-year pilot, we can help the practice more actively promote the site and telepsychiatry services for even greater return."